Forestville Public School

Students aim high, give it a go and encourage others

Telephone02 9452 5444

Emailforestvill-p.school@det.nsw.edu.au

History

The Starting Years

1952

  • The Minister for Education approves a school to be built for the local children.

1953

  • Enrolments commenced in March
  • The first headmistress was Miss Burus

1954

  • The first Kindergarten room was approved.
  • It was a double aluminium structure‚Ķ but it was not built until 1958!!

1955

  • In April of this year, the first P & C Association was formed
  • Mr Greig was Headmaster.

1957

  • Enrolments now 229!
  • The school population increased by 3 pupils per week.
  • Classes were held in the Gospel Hall and St. David's Church Hall
  • Mr Hamilton was Headmaster

1961

  • The Sports Oval was provided by local community workers
  • Mr Zeitsch was headmaster

1963

  • A staffroom was built
  • Infants' Classrooms built
  • Three brick classrooms built for the Primary Department
  • And most importantly‚Ķ..The brick toilet block was approved!

1977

  • It was decided that the school library was not adequate. It was housed in what is now a storeroom.
  • Plans were drawn up for the library to be built in its present place.

2003

  • The school celebrated it's 50th birthday!

2007

  • The commemorative pathway from Melwood Avenue was constructed.
  • Security fencing was installed around the school.

2008

  • Mrs Hewitt became principal.

Our School Bell

Did you know our school bell has a history too?

Our school bell came from a vessel named "Pride of England". It was a floating magazine called a Powder Hulk", used for storing explosives. It was presented to the school by the Dept. of Mines in 1965, and hung in its present position in 1967.